Thursday, July 10, 2008

Bonked (almost)

I went for a ride this morning (I didn't get up real early like the machine of my wife know as Liz ((4:15 is crazy! I don't care who your are or how much you like to run)), but I did get up) and took a new route. It was around 14 miles, but I missed a turn that I was planning on taking so I'm not entirely sure how far I went.

Mostly the roads were really nice, for awhile I was even on a road that they had just repaved (the machines were still there), and instead of having to ride over the train tracks I rode under them thanks to a fun bridge. There were a few steep hills but they were short. On one of the hills in the middle I found myself only halfway up it and pretty much at a dead stop. I couldn't seem to get the feet turning. I'll go back another day to show it who is the real boss (just not today). Lastly, I saw a bunny and it was cute.

For those of you unfamiliar with bunnies, it looked a lot like this



Yesterday was a traumatic bike day, which ended with me having to change my tire for the 1st time ever and not getting to actually bike. I have to thank the countless you tube clips that probably demonstrated the "simple" technique of changing a tire for me over 20 times on my computer.

I broke the valve on the first one because I slipped and twisted the fragile part of the stem, thus it would no longer hold in the air. I all ended with me and Liz going to the bike shop for a humbling lesson on how to use bike pump (don't laugh until you have tried one of those demonic presta valve mechanisms).

But now, all is right again in the world. My padded bibs came in the mail so my booty doesn't hurt so much while riding. It will take a little time to get used to the spandex part though, but at least I'm not flashing all the oncoming traffic, and I bought biking gloves at the LBS so now my arms don't go numb (an odd sensation, but not an appropriate one while steering a bike).


That hill described from earlier felt biking up this....




but probably was more like this

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Oh, the post made me laugh several times :)