Thursday, June 19, 2008

Out to the big WV

Today we are leaving for West Virginia! I'll have to take an imaginary break from training from the bike I still don't own. Maybe it will be here when I come back. Take that bike! Who's waiting for who now?





and the West Virgina state song (sounds like a fun place to go biking.... if you like hills)


West Virginia Hills Words

by Mrs. Ellen King,

Music by H. E. Engle


1. Oh, the West Virginia hills! How majestic and how grand,With their summits bathed in glory, Like our Prince Immanuel's Land!Is it any wonder then, That my heart with rapture thrills,As I stand once more with loved ones On those West Virginia hills?


CHORUS:


Oh, the hills, beautiful hills, How I love those West Virginia hills! If o'er sea o'er land I roam, Still I'll think of happy home,And my friends among the West Virginia hills.
2. Oh, the West Virginia hills! Where my childhood hours were passed,Where I often wandered lonely, And the future tried to cast;Many are our visions bright, Which the future ne'er fulfills;But how sunny were my daydreams On those West Virginia hills!


CHORUS


3. Oh, the West Virginia hills! How unchang'd they seem to stand,With their summits pointed skyward To the Great Almighty's Land!Many changes I can see, Which my heart with sadness fills;But no changes can be noticed In those West Virginia hills.


CHORUS


4. Oh, the West Virginia hills! I must bid you now adieu. In my home beyond the mountains I shall ever dream of you;In the evening time of life, If my Father only wills, I shall still behold the vision Of those West Virginia hills.


END
And a picture to spice things up





I guess they really adore their hills, but I guess that isn't so odd. After all Michigan has Lake Michigan, Wisconsin has Bret Farve, and Indiana has...... corn! Oh wait, we don't even have that anymore after it all washed away :(....

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Almost heaven, west virginia
Blue ridge mountains
Shenandoah river -
Life is old there
Older than the trees
Younger than the mountains
Growin like a breeze

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West virginia, mountain momma
Take me home, country roads

All my memories gathered round her
Miners lady, stranger to blue water
Dark and dusty, painted on the sky
Misty taste of moonshine
Teardrops in my eye

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West virginia, mountain momma
Take me home, country roads

I hear her voice
In the mornin hour she calls me
The radio reminds me of my home far away
And drivin down the road I get a feelin
That I should have been home yesterday, yesterday

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West virginia, mountain momma
Take me home, country roads

Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
West virginia, mountain momma
Take me home, country roads
Take me home, now country roads
Take me home, now country roads

Words and music by bill danoff, taffy nivert and john denver